Saturday, January 23, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary: Ramayana

Ramayana Online: Public Domain Edition

Thataka from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

I enjoyed this story a lot because it is the first time we get to see Rama in action. He must have some mean weaponry skills to be able to Thataka when she was invisible by just listening to where she would be. I also thought it was really cool that Rama could just think of his weapons and they would appear by his side when he needed them. It sort of reminded me of Thor and his hammer. 

Sita from The Divine Archer by F. J. Gould (1911).

I am a romantic at heart and loved to read the story of how Rama and Sita meet/fall in love. The scenery and description in this was really quite beautiful. I love gardens! I think it may be kind of different to go more into detail about what Sita is thinking, or perhaps make her not as perfect and ladylike (clumsy). 

Rama wins Sita from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

I really enjoyed the challenge that the monarch had made for his daughter's suitor. I think it would be funny though if, because he broke it, Rama did not get to marry Sita. It would be interesting to see the actions of the characters after that happened. Would Sita speak up? Would Rama challenge the monarch or accept defeat and leave? 

Karma from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

I am really intrigued by the story of how the hermit was accidentally killed. More specifically I am interested in the hermit himself. It is sad but true how your life can end in an instant and you never know when it will happen. This is why it is so important to live life to the fullest. 

The blind hermit and his wife mourn their son by Kala Pahara from Wiki Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment