Monday, January 18, 2016

Overview: So many options to choose from!


Odissi Dancer Sitara Thobani from Wiki Commons

After looking at the descriptions of both of the options for week two, I have decided to use the public domain edition of Ramayana. I enjoyed the fact that it was free, has illustrations, and has a listening option. I think listening could bring a different aspect to the reading and I always enjoy seeing different artwork. I also believe that the notes provided with this version could help me study this story.

As I was browsing through some of the material for this class, I was really intrigued by the stories for children Babbit. Jataka Tales. and Babbit. More Jakata Tales.. I think you can find out a lot from a group of people by what they teach their children. I was also really intrigued with the Sacred Tales of India. I noticed you said it was a popular choice last year and love that it is connected to Hindu rituals. I love to learn about other gods, goddesses and heroes so I think I would love to read Monro. Gods and heroes.  The title The Missing Queen really grabbed my attention. I love that it set in modern times! It sounds like a great read. To switch things up, I think I may look into watching Seven Secrets for Hindu Calendar Art. It could be cool to watch something instead of reading and I could always make my roommate watch with me!

Since you mentioned it, I do love Game of Thrones! I will probably be finding time this semester to squeeze in the last season so I can be refreshed on everything that happened before the new season starts! I do not have any experience studying Indian history or culture, so I do not recognize any of the names I saw in the online textbook. However, I am really excited to learn! I have taken Arthurian Legend and Literature as well as Mythology and Folklore here at OU and loved learning in those classes.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you have already picked out some of my very favorite things, Chelsey! And Missing Queen is one I would really REALLY recommend to you; I am so sure you would like that... and to make it even more exciting, the author, Samhita Arni, uses Twitter. If you have questions, you can ask her at Twitter! And Devdutt Pattanaik, author of the Seven Secrets book, is also at Twitter. Being able to connect with authors in India like that still amazes me: that's been one of the most fun parts of blending in modern authors with the ancient texts. I am excited to see which direction you will go with it all!

    ReplyDelete