Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary: Ramayana continued

Ramayana Online: Public Domain Edition


Bharata requests Rama's sandals.
By Balasaheb Pandit Pant Pratinidhi, 1916.

Sandals from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

I chose this story because of the sandals. I think this is a really big moment because the sandals are supposed to represent "royal authority". I think I could write a story off of the shoes. It could be fun to go more into depth with this story and the "powers" of the shoes and why they represent who is in charge of the kingdom. 

Viradha translated by Manmatha Nath Dutt (1891 and following).

I am a sucker for a good battle scene. I really loved this story of Rama saving his damsel in distress. This creature really sounds terrifying so I can understand why Sita was "trembling with fear". I like changing the story by putting it into a different perspective than what was originally told. I think it would be great to hear this story from the monster's point of view. Or perhaps from Sita's point of view. Men perceive women as weak so maybe she was not shaking or trembling with fear. Perhaps this was anger. What if the boys gave her a few more seconds and she exploded in fury and kicked this no good monster's butt? I think that would be a fun twist to the story. 


The Golden Deer from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

I was really interested in this story because in two of my three favorite storybooks they used this story. I think it could be fun to link my love of Disney with this story. I could make it a twist off of Bambi in some way or another. 


No comments:

Post a Comment