Sunday, January 31, 2016

Storybook Topics

Statue of Lord Shiva with his trident Trishula from Wiki Commons

Possible Topic: If weapons could talk- I think it could be interesting to have the weapons talk about the battles they had experienced with those who wielded them. It could prove to be an interesting way to tell the stories. I got the idea when I was looking at topics and clicked on battles and weapons. I thought all the different weapons mentioned sounded really cool and would like to look more into what they did and who fought with them.
Research I've done: I liked how the storybook Weapons of the Gods went into the history of the weapons, but I would like to get more into when they were used. I also took a look at the list of weapons. Some that really caught my eye were Gandiva (bow), Trishula (trident), and Asi (sword). I think these weapons would have some great stories to share if they could.

Possible Topic: Indian Magic School- I have always been a huge fan of Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and all things fiction. I think I could use this love and create a Indian Storybook from it. Instead of battling a basilisk in school perhaps they could come across an ancient demon. I think there are a lot of different ways this could go and would really like to see the idea come to life.
Research I've done: Since I mentioned demons, I looked on Wikipedia and found more information on some of the demons listed on the topic site for demons. Ravana and his family would be great people to fight with magic. I also looked at wikipedia for more history on Hindu mythology it could be more beneficial to use that and do more of a Percy Jackson vibe and fight monsters than using magic. It was harder to find stuff related to magic.

Possible Topic: The Return of Wolfgang Forrester - I absolutely loved my project in Mythology and Folklore: Fairytale Case Files! I would love to revisit the detective and see what he is up to! Perhaps he stumbles in a hole (like Alice in Wonderland) and is transported to another land (India) where there are new cases to be solved!
Research I've done: When I was looking at the list of stories last week one that caught my eye was The Missing Queen. Immediately I thought of Wolfgang! He would love the opportunity to try to find this missing queen! I haven't been able to read the story but I think it would be a good fit for the storybook. I also haven't had a chance to look, but I feel like I would be able to take some children's stories in Jataka tales. Perhaps he could solve Why the Owl is not King of the Birds. I am not quite sure what else he would solve, but I feel like I can find something.

Possible Topic: Tales of a Wanderer -  I think another cool story idea would be to follow a traveler throughout India and having people he comes across tell him a tale. This gives a lot of wiggle room because the people he runs into could be from anywhere and each person you meet has a different type of story to tell. Maybe they were a hero, a villain, a victim, or a bystander. This would give me a chance to take a variety of stories I like and twist them from another point of view. I would also be able to go into more of the Indian culture and geography with a traveler.
Research I've done: I liked the storybook Travel Journal. It is a lot of what I have in mind for this type of storybook. I also looked into all of the places mentioned on the Traveling India topic page. I also looked up on wikipedia the Culture of India. There was a lot of information about the language, religion, clothing, and arts that may be helpful when describing my adventurers travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment