Thursday, January 28, 2016

Storytelling for Week 2: Sita the Warrior Princess

Meg from Hercules from Bustle
One bright and sunny morning, Sita, Rama, and Lak took a stroll through the Forest of Sandalla. Rama, being the hopeless romantic that he is, stopped often to point out different flowers to Sita  and in no time picked her a beautiful bouquet. Meanwhile, Lak was trying to explore the forest. He liked to tell the couple everything he would find. Occasionally he would yell things like "O look a nest!" or "Watch out for that cliff!" He soon found a tree as tall as a mountain and decided to climb it. "Lak! If you are going to climb so high could you try to grab me a cloud? I would love one as a souvenir," Rama said jokingly.  Lak, playing along, climbed even higher into the tree and then pretended like he was going to grab a cloud and reached as much as his arm would let him and then he fell. "LAK!" screamed Sita and Rama as they rushed to his aid. Lak sat up startled but otherwise unharmed. By some miracle he had managed to land in a large pile of leaves, it was like landing on a crunchy marshmallow. Sita embraced Lak with relief and then punched him in the arm, "Do not scare me like that Laksmana!" "Wow," Lak said with a chuckle, "you know I am in trouble when you use my full name." Rama started laughing with him until they were interrupted by a low growl. "Rama, please tell me that you are just really hungry." said Lak. "Definitely not me." replied Rama. They both look at Sita and she shakes her head no. Realizing they were no longer alone, they slowly turn around.

Not even ten feet away from them was a man-eating rakshasa. Standing at fifteen feet tall, with two huge fangs protuding from his mouth, the ugly beast roared "I am the great Viradha! How dare you awaken me!" Seeing the beautiful Sita adorned with flowers, he grabbed her as she screamed and said "I will take her and drink her blood, for it will surely be a great compliment to your flesh." "Ewww!" said Lak. "I really don't feel like being your "Lak burger with a side of Rama fries with a Sita pop to drink". Try the veggie burger! It is way better on the heart!" Viradha growled with impatience for the upcoming battle as Rama stringed his bow. "You have a death wish Viradha! You will not have my Sita today!" Rama yelled as he and Lak sent arrow after arrow into the rakshasa's flesh. When they were out of arrows, the rakshasa yawned and the arrows popped out of his flesh. It was as if they were never there. As he stretched, he dropped Sita and she ran to the side of the battle. "You will have to do better than that" said Viradha. The two warriors then charge the beast with their swords and battle for their lives. As Sita was sitting there on the side, she could not help but notice that no matter what the boys did they could not seem to injure the rakshasa. She then remembered that in their forest explorations this morning they had come by a cliff so deep that any creature would perish after a fall so great. Realizing this may be their only chance to defeat the monster, Sita ran off towards the cliff.

Sita grabbed some vines and pulled them off a tree and quickly tied them together and then wrapped them around two trees close to the edge of the cliff. Sita ran all the way back to the battle to a gruesome scene. The boys had somehow ripped off the arms of Viradha. This didn't slow him down a bit. The rakshasa was still kicking and biting at Rama and Lak and it looked like he was winning the fight. Rama and Lak were exhausted from fighting and were starting to slow down. Sita knew they weren't going to be able to hold out for much longer. She grabbed a stone from the ground and threw it at Viradha with all of her strength and yelled "Hey! You with the bad  breath!" The stone hit the beast in the head and he quickly turned all of his attention towards Sita. Sita stood tall and strong before the beast. "You said you would take care me first and I haven't got one scratch from you! What kind of mighty rakshasa are you? You can't even control a girl!!" "Fine," said Viradha, "I will kill you first woman!" and charges toward Sita with a ferocious roar! Sita runs toward the cliff and goes over her rope and runs to the side as Viradha trips over her rope and falls to his death. The boys ran to Sita and made sure she was okay. When she told them how she tricked Viradha, they were very impressed. Rama embraced Sita and said "I am so proud of you my warrior princess." Sita blushed with pride as the three of them continued on their journey through the forest. 

Author's note: I chose to keep the storyline but twist it to make Sita the hero. As much as I love the damsel in distress stories, I thought it was time to switch things over and have the princess save the prince. I also wanted to make Lakshmana more of a focus and to see more of a personality from him. I saw him as an animated and funny sidekick to Rama. He would have to have a sense of humor and a great personality to be stranded in the forest for years as a permanent third wheel. In the original story, Lak does not fall off of a tree or awaken the beast. I did that to make the story more exciting. There is also no Forest of Sandalla. I just wanted to have a name for the place. Sita is also hiding in a cave while Rama and Lakshmana battle the monster and then push it off of the cliff. I just adjusted the story to make Sita the hero and to trick the rakshasa into tripping and falling off of the cliff. Also, I had to choose my gif of Meg for this story because I love Meg and I feel that in my story Sita is the type of person who could definitely save herself from monsters. 

Bibliography: Viradha from The Ramayana translated by Manmatha Nath Dutt (1891 and following). 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsey!
    I love the background you chose for your blog. It is cool and soothing like lime sherbert! I like the image you chose for the story. It's really cute. I enjoyed reading your story, I did not notice any misspellings or mechanical issues that can impede the flow of the story.

    The way you altered the story to avoid the cliche mindset of damsel in distress was perfect. It had smooth transition with the original storyline. It had wow factor with how smart Sita was in solving the problem through brains not brawn like her male counterpart heroes were attempting. I can get behind a goddess or queen with those critical thinking skills!

    I wonder if Rama and Lak are teased later for needing to be saved by Sita. I bet the other brothers and sisters would raz those two for it. Great story, I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very refreshing take on 2500 year old gender norms. I have to admit, having Rama and his magical bow solve every problem using sheer force was starting to wear on me, so this was a very welcome shift. Sita, in the actual story, was starting to annoy me as well. She is practically the epitome of damsel in distress, and I got major Eve vibes off her when she convinced Rama and Lakshmana to go after that golden deer. I prefer you rendition of her way more, where she's smart, capable, and courageous, and addition to being a total babe! Very impressed with this one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely written Chelsey! I loved how easy it was to follow! Your creativity is outstanding. I really admired how much detail you put into it because its very beneficial to the readers like me that lose attention easily if there is no background in stories. You had me worried and chuckling to myself all within the same time! I can't wait to read more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a really good writer chelsey. Your story definitely had my attention. The setting you chose was prime. Your personification, "Lak burger or rama fries" was great visualization to the readers and provided us with a little comic relief. As Grayson said, I really did enjoy the way you conveyed Sita. In the real story i felt Sita was very loyal, she might have made a bad choice for wanting the Golden Deer but all and all I believe she has Rama's best interest at heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Chelsey,
    I enjoyed reading you retell story of “Sita the warrior Princess.” Especially the image you used. I really liked the image here of Meg from Hercules. It was really easy to follow the story with the great amount of creativity that you had in the story. Great story. I enjoyed reading you blogs and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete