Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Reading Diary Week 7: Mahabharata Part C

Mahabharata PDE

Arjuna and Shiva from Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita (1914).

I really loved this story. The fight between the hunter and Arjuna over the boar was really cool! I think I would basically stay along the same storyline, but perhaps go more into the fight and the boar itself. I think you could improve the story a lot by adding more details. It has the bones but give it more meat!

Riddles at the Lake from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

It is crazy to me that two of the brothers were written out and died within the same paragraph and it was so casually done! I actually really wanted to save this because it is a good potential case for my detective to solve in my storybook. He could answer some of the riddles at the lake.

Bhima and Kichaka from The Indian Heroes by C. A. Kincaid (1921)

I loved how Bhima defended the honor of his wife. It sounds like Kichaka took advantage of so many women and I am glad that he got what was coming to him. I think it would be great to go into this entire story. I think I would switch it up and write it like it was in the early 20s. Perhaps it would be like in Downton Abbey. There is actually an episode where Mr. Bates reminds me a lot of Bhima in this story. Downton Abbey is one of my favorite television shows so I think it would be really fun to incorporate it into this class. Not to mention I have never written anything like it. It would be a great new challenge.

Bhima and Kichaka from Kidsgen



No comments:

Post a Comment