Thursday, February 25, 2016

Storytelling Week 6: The Hubby Bros


The Hubby Bros


The Pandavas with Draupadi, in a playful mood by Mahayug on Behance
Welcome to the show "The Hubby Bros"! I'm host Ali and in this episode we are going to have a one on one session with Draupadi and have her elaborate on how she met the handsome Pandava brothers, their wedding, and how she handles being married to the brothers! Without further introductions here is the beautiful Draupadi!!!

Hello everyone! I am Draupadi and I am married to the five most famous men in all of India! This is about our lives and how we get along and live together. Some people may think it is crazy, but we manage to make it work!

I remember the first time I saw my husbands. They were all disguised so no one would recognize them. My father was holding a contest to see who could string a bow and then knock a fish out of a bowl. I know it sounds weird, but my dad likes to try to keep things interesting. After several men attempted in vain to knock down the fish, Arjuna stepped forward. He strung the bow and then released the arrow knocking the fish right out of the bowl! I was excited someone succeeded and was ready to meet my future husband! He and his brothers were all still very cautious of revealing who they really were. They took me to meet their mother and soon revealed who they really were. Their mother was so sweet, however, she decided that I could not just marry one of her sons. If I was going to have one, I must have them all!

You can only imagine how I felt at the time I heard her say that. I started laughing! I thought it was a joke! I had never heard such a thing! One woman with five husbands! It was absurd! However, it was not a joke. Before I knew it I was being prepared to walk down the isle to my five husbands on the other end! I was so nervous. However, when I saw each of them looking at me with love and respect in their eyes I realized I had the biggest blessing a girl could ask for. I would not only have one husband that would love me unconditionally but five husbands! I only hoped I would be able to love them as much as each of them loved me!

We have now been married for five years! My husbands have the running joke that we have really only been married one year. One for each. They think they are so funny. It really is not as bad or as crazy as you would think! I really try to spend as much time with each of them and not favor one over the other. That sometimes this is difficult not because I favor one but because there's only so many hours in the day. Think about it, there are only 24 hours in a day. Not counting sleep, my daily duties, and eating that is less than 5 hours per husband. This can make things interesting when trying to help your relationship grow with each husband. One of my husband's make it jealous when the other gets more time, but we eventually figure it out. I mean we've been living this crazy lifestyle for five whole years! I think we can figure out anything life throws at us.

Author's note: I chose to do this story as a spin off to "The Sister Wives" because as soon as I read that Draupadi married all five brothers I realized that this sounds like something that would be a reality show in today's society. I wanted to reflect off of the moment that Draupadi realized she was going to marry the Pandava brothers in Draupadi's Swayamwara and The Wife of the 5 Pandavas. I chose the picture because it really represents my story. The idea of the photographer was to capture what the Mahabharata would look like if it happened in present day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Chelsey

    I enjoyed your story! I thought the exact same thing when I read about Draupadi! It did fit perfect into a reality TV show. I like how in your story she introduces herself as the woman who has five husbands. I love the picture you used! It was good idea to represent the characters as actual human beings since you are trying to portray a TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chelsey, I really enjoy the tv show layout of your story. Especially how it involves the brothers and their one wife. If that isn’t good television, I don’t know what is. I like that you made it light and whimsical instead of dramatic like being married to five men might sound like. My favorite part is when they joked that she’s been married for five years but they have only been married one year. Good read.

    ReplyDelete