Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Week 14 Storytelling: Girl on the Flyer

Missing Person from Stidhamreconstruction

I looked at the flyer with a photo of a girl with blonde hair and blue eyes. The caption read in bold letters "MISSING TEENAGE GIRL". I turn away from the flyer with tears in my eyes. That is not just any teenage girl. That is my sister. 

It started like any other day. My alarm went off about four times and I pressed snooze every time. I did not want to go to school. I wanted to keep dreaming the day away. My mom came in and told me to get up and get ready or else I would be late. Not that it really mattered. Groaning in protest I got up  and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and do my hair. I had just put toothpaste on my toothbrush when my mom pounded on my door. 

"Nancy. Is your sister in there with you?" 

I rolled my eyes, "No. Why would we be in the bathroom together mom? That is weird." 

"You sure?" my mom asked nervously. 

My mom's tone was starting to make me worry. I opened the door. "Yeah, mom she's not here." I saw the panic in her eyes. "Mom, what's wrong???" She runs down the hall, grabs her phone, and dials 911. "MOM!" I yell. 

I hear a voice on the phone "911 what's your emergency?"

My mom's voice trembles, "Yes, I can't find my daughter. I think she's been kidnapped."

Suddenly I feel the world spinning around me. I run to my sisters bedroom and the window is open and her stuff is everywhere. Drawers were on the ground and I saw scratch marks on her headboard. I fall on the ground as the world goes to black. 

I wake up in my bed. It was only a dream. I sit up and hear a lot of people in the house. Police are everywhere. They are asking my parents questions about my sister. My mom pulls out a photo of her from our family vacation over spring break. I run back to my room and slam the door. 

How could I have let this happen? I was in the next room. How could I not have heard her? I hope and pray that someone, anyone could find my sister and bring her home to me. 

Author's Note: I based this week's story off of The Missing Queen  by Samhita Arni (2014). In this version of the Ramayana, Samhita mentions Sita's sister Urmila. It made me really think about how difficult Sita's disappearance would be on Sita's family. I really wanted to focus on how Urmila may have felt when she discovered her sister was missing. The story made me think of how I would respond if my little sister went missing, so I wrote how I think I would have reacted. 

1 comment:

  1. Chelsey,
    This was a powerful story. I love how you started off with the main character seeing the missing poster of the girl then revealing that it was her sister before regressing back to where the story began. It got my attention from the start and kept it. Making it seem as if it were a dream was also a nice twist because it got my hopes up. Great job!

    ReplyDelete