Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Reading Diary Week 14: Missing Queen Part D

The Missing Queen  by Samhita Arni (2014)

I thought this was a great story and I would recommend this novel to anyone! It wasn't quite what I had expected, but I loved the modern take on the Ramayana. It was really interesting to see the story of Sita unfold from the perspective of a journalist.

Something that I would love to elaborate on is Sam Bhoo Kha's story. I love the idea of the matriarchal society that he was a part of before Ayodhya came. The queen was in power, women had no shame and did not wear shirts because it was more convenient to feed the young, and they had freedom for women that was not common. My history teacher used to say, "behind the downfall of every man lurkes a woman." However, the queen was trying to avoid war and turmoil for her people. It was a man (brother to a girl that was assaulted) that started the war between Sam Bhoo Kha's tribe and Ayodhya. Although, some could argue that it was the girl's fault for going into the Ayodhya emissioner's tent. Regardless, I think this would be a fun story to tell.

I also loved how this version of the story ended compared to the original story that we read in class. As I was reading, I liked the fact that Sita died and Rama did not just take the boys and leave Sita in a forest. I thought that was a more suiting end because Sita could not survive on her own without her boys. Then there was the cliffhanger at the end. I would love for that to be Sita alive and well, however, part of me also wishes that it wasn't. I can't imagine Sita sitting in a cabin somewhere content in life when her sons are with their father that had abandoned them before they were born and thought their own mother was dead.

The Chicago Massacre of 1812 from Wiki Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment